The Scott City Beavers came up short of winning a second-straight team state wrestling title, but they still came away with two individual champions Saturday on the final day of the 4A state wrestling tournament in Salina.

Justus McDaniel (132 pounds) and Wyatt Hayes (170) both claimed titles for the Beavers, the first for McDaniel and second for Hayes.

The pair of titles helped the Beavers, who won last year's 3-2-1A state team title, finish third in the standings with 92 points, behind champion Marysville (112.5) and runner-up Winfield (100).

Ulysses, which picked up three medals on the consolation side, finished eighth with 74 points.

Though the venue moved for the Beavers from Fort Hays State University to the Tony’s Pizza Events Center in Salina, the tradition of Scott City wrestling success continued.

Hayes capped his wrestling career with an 8-2 win over Storm Slupianek of Marysville.

Hayes, who won at 170 last year in Class 3-2-1A, got a takedown in the opening period to lead 2-0. He scored an escape early in the second and another takedown at 1:30 to lead 5-0.

After a series of restarts due to blood, Slupianek got a reversal with five seconds left in the period to score his only points of the match.

Starting up in the third, Hayes prevented Slupianek from getting an escape by hooking his left foot around his opponent’s right ankle, driving him to the mat and riding him for time.

The veteran Hayes performed a variation of the move three more times in the period, the final time getting Slupianek turned on his back and recording three points for a near fall as time ran out.

Hayes, who turned to the Scott City fans and raised his arms in triumph, had just completed a career that saw him go 145-19 with two state titles and a third-place finish.

Finishing with a 38-2 record, Hayes breezed through his bracket, picking up three pins on Friday.

McDaniel got things started for the Beavers, earning his way atop the medal stand with a 10-3 major decision over Adam Whitson of Buhler.

It was a match the Scott City junior controlled from the outset, taking Whitson to the mat just seconds into the match. On the restart, McDaniel avoided a takedown and turned the tables, getting two points with 30 seconds remaining in the period.

Whitson, starting from the down position to start the second, got an escape at 1:34 and nearly took down McDaniel with 45 seconds remaining in the period. But McDaniel avoided that and got another takedown with four seconds left, flipping Whitson onto his back. Scored as a near fall, he took a 7-1 lead into the third.

Whitson scored a takedown of his own with a minute to go. After a restart, Whitson threw McDaniel to the mat but couldn’t score on it, stopping the clock on a caution instead.

McDaniel (29-3) got an escape and a final takedown in the closing seconds to take the title.

In the 138-pound final, Scott City's Kaden Wren faced undefeated Riley McDaniel of Frontenac, falling 10-6 to settle for a runner-up finish.

Wren went on the offensive, scoring a takedown early. He worked McDaniel from the top the rest of the period, but couldn’t score.

He went ahead 3-0 with an escape in the second period, but the rest of the period belonged to McDaniel. The Frontenac senior scored a takedown and two more points on a near fall seconds later.

McDaniel added three takedowns in the final period to pull away and claim the title.

It was the second-straight year that Wren (37-4), a junior, finished runner-up at state.

Scott City picked up two more medals. Senior Theron Tucker (33-9) at 145 pounds lost by fall in his consolation semifinal to Nick Elliott of Buhler, then fell to Dawson Chavez of Andale to medal sixth.

Kyle Sherwood (220 pounds) got a pair of 5-2 decisions to reach the consolation semifinals, but lost in a tie-breaker (3-2) to Kenny Fehrman of Wellington. In the fifth-place match, Sherwood got a 3-1 decision over Zach Phillips of Winfield, finishing his season at 34-10.


Ulysses medals four

Four of the Ulysses Tigers' eight wrestlers found themselves coming through the consolation round to medal on Saturday.

Leading the way with third-place finishes were seniors Juan Urbina (138) and Ayston Perez (285).

Urbina (31-13) lost a semifinal match on Friday but came back Saturday with a pin of Winfield’s Chance Price. In the third-place match, he picked up another pin over Jonny Crome of Marysville.

Perez (31-7) picked up a pair of falls before defeating Andale’s Ethan Shackelford 3-1 in the consolation semifinals. Perez then scored a fall over Mulvane’s Kyle Smith to claim his bronze medal.

Quentin Pauda (33-9) did not fare as well, losing 3-1 in his third-place match at 106 pounds to Grayson Sonntag of Tonganoxie. Pauda earned a 3-2 decision over Rhett Koppes of Clay Center to reach the bronze match.

His brother, Corbyn Pauda, won his fifth-place match at 113, a pin of Chance Mitzner of Osawatomie. Corbyn Pauda (20-13) picked up a fall in his first match in the morning, then got a 6-2 decision over Pratt’s Kaiser Pelland, before falling to Kolton Misener of Chaney to fall to the fifth-place match.