LAWRENCE — The Kansas Head Start Association announced the following Kansas winners in the 2018 Region VII Head Start Association Awards and KHSA Scholarship program.
The following award categories recognize achievements and services contributed during the 2017-2018 school year.
• Teacher of the Year — Jean Hertel of Early Childhood Connections, USD 489.
• Support Staff of the Year — Vickie Shapiro-Maffei, Southeast Kansas Community Action Programs Head Start.
• Family leader of the year — LaToya Mothershed, Manhattan Head Start, USD 383, Manhattan.
• Beating the Odds Parent Award — Shelina Dickerson, Early Childhood Connections, USD 489, Hays.
2018 Kansas winners now continue to the Region VII Head Start Association level where they compete with other state association winners from Iowa, Nebraska and Missouri.
Kansas Head Start Association Scholarships winners will each receive a $750 scholarship. All three scholarship winners were nominated by Early Childhood Connections Head Start and Early Head Start program in Hays.
• Head Start Alumni — Taya Randle, high school senior.
• Head Start Parent — Post-Secondary Education, Ashley Vopat.
• Head Start Staff — Higher Education, Monique Holmes
The Kansas awards will be presented at the KHSA Affiliate Partners meeting Oct. 4 in Salina. Kansas scholarships and Region VII awards will be presented June 26 at Regional Head Start Conference, Overland Park.