Experience the Dust Bowl through new documentary

Do you remember the Dust Bowl days? Did your parents tell you tales of the Dust Bowl? Ken Burns of PBS fame has made a new film titled "The Dust Bowl." An advance copy has been made available and will be shown in two parts on Tuesday and Thursday, Oct. 30 and Nov. 1, beginning at 3:30 p.m. The film will be shown at the Finney County Historical Museum, 403 S. Fourth St. Join us for the film and discussion. Bring your photographs. Hear stories. Taste some Depression-era food.


Last week we discussed briefly how to research your prescription drug plan. This week we will talk briefly about Original Medicare and follow-up next week with information on Medicare Advantage. Open Enrollment for Medicare began on Oct. 15 and will continue until Dec. 7.

Original Medicare consists of Part A, which is hospitalization, and Part B which covers out-patients fees. With Original Medicare you have a red-white-blue Medicare card. You can see any doctor in the country, as long as he/she accepts Medicare. You are not required to get a referral from your primary care doctor before seeing other doctors or a specialist. Medicare pays 80 percent of most medical services and you must pay the remaining 20 percent coinsurance. You can purchase a Medigap plan, which helps to fill in gaps in Medicare health coverage and may help pay your out-of-pocket costs. Medicare does not cover most vision, dental and hearing care. You should consider a stand-alone Medicare drug plan, Part D, for your prescription coverage.

Bazaar success

This past Saturday was our 46th annual Finney County Senior Citizens Association Bazaar and Quilt Show. A big thank you to everyone who volunteered their time and talents to make this a successful day. Thank you, also, to the many people who visited our vendors and ate lunch.

Thanks for help

This year, 2012, is the 40th anniversary of Meals on Wheels in Garden City. Many thanks to the RSVP volunteers and Duane Riley who delivered Meals on Wheels last week.

Are you interested in helping with Meals on Wheels? Substitute drivers are always needed. If you would like to help, call Patti at 272-3620 or 260-6282.

Transit news

It is time to renew your eligibility to ride the Mini Bus in 2013. Be sure to ask the next time you schedule the bus. Don't delay so you don't lose your service!

Never ridden the Mini Bus? Get an application now before the weather turns bad. Let us do the driving.

Scheduled activities

Thursday, the TOPS Club will meet at 9 a.m., followed by art class at 10 a.m. Gentle exercise begins at 11 a.m. The Ambassador Singers practice at 1 p.m. Life Writing group meets at 1 p.m. A domino tournament begins at 1 p.m. Yoga begins at 6:30 p.m.

Friday begins with line dancing at 8:30 a.m. A nurse from St. Catherine Hospital will be here from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Bridge starts at 12:45 p.m.

Saturday, the pool room is open from 1 to 4 p.m. Fiddlers, Pickers and Singers will perform from 5 to 9 p.m.

Sunday, duplicate bridge meets at 2 p.m.

Monday begins with the Walking Club at 8:30 a.m. The Humdinger Band practices at 12:30 p.m. Double pinochle begins at 12:30 p.m. Duplicate bridge meets at 7 p.m.

Tuesday, gentle exercises begin at 11 a.m. Pitch starts at 12:30 p.m. Bridge begins at 1:15 p.m. The Dust Bowl program begins at 3:30 p.m. at the Finney County Historical Museum.

Oct. 31 has line dancing at 8:30 a.m. Wear your Halloween costume and join us at 11:30 a.m. for a costume contest and trivia. The regular Wednesday night dance begins at 7:30 p.m. Music is provided by the Ortiz Band. The recommended donation is $5.

Lunch menus

Lunch is served at noon.

Thursday: Lasagna, Corn O'Brien, tossed salad, French bread, lemon bars.

Friday: Turkey casserole, mashed potatoes, ginger carrots, wheat bread, ambrosia.

Monday: Sweet/sour chicken, rice, Italian vegetables, wheat roll, strawberries and pears.

Tuesday: Beef stroganoff, noodles, California vegetables, wheat bread, apricots.

Oct. 31: Beef stew or ham and beans, green beans, corn bread, mandarin oranges.

Check out our website at www.seniorcenterfc.com.