Yes, it’s early, but everywhere the talk is we are in for a bad winter. Let’s wish for the best and plan for the worst. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) provides the following information on emergency supplies during cold and stormy weather. Have on hand:
• An NOAA weather radio
• Rock Salt to melt ice on walkways
• Sand to improve traction
• Snow Shovels
• Adequate clothing and blankets
• Sufficient heating fuel. If you use a wood-burning stove or fireplace, keep a supply of dry, seasoned wood.
• FEMA also recommends a family communication plan to know how to contact each other during bad weather.
During winter storms and extreme cold:
• Stay indoors during the storm.
• Watch for signs of hypothermia such as uncontrollable shivering, memory loss, disorientation and slurred speech. Get medical help as soon as possible.
• When using kerosene heaters maintain ventilation to avoid build-up of toxic fumes.
• If it’s necessary to conserve fuel, keep your residence cooler than normal by closing off heat to some rooms.
If you must go out:
• Walk carefully on walkways.
• Avoid overexerting
• Keep dry
• Watch for signs of frostbite. Signs include loss of feeling and white or pale extremities. Get medical help as soon as possible.
If you must drive:
• Travel in the day.
• Don’t travel alone.
• Keep others informed of your schedule and route.
• Stay on main roads.
Remember, if USD 457 has cancelled school due to inclement weather, the Finney County Senior Center/Transit will be closed and no Meals on wheels will be delivered.
The open house at Finney County Senior Center/Transit, with music by Al Miller, will be 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday.
Thursday: Tops, 8:30 a.m.; Art Class, 10 a.m.; Bingo, 10:30 a.m.; Skip Bo, 1 p.m.; Bridge, 1:15 p.m.; PIYO/Yoga, 5:30.
Friday: Line Dancing, 8:30 a.m.; Nurse, 10:30 a.m.; Enhance Fitness, 1 p.m.; Qwirkle, 1 p.m.; Bridge, 1:15 p.m.; The Association Covered Dish supper, 6 p.m.
Saturday: Open House, 1 to 3 p.m.; The pool room is open from 1 to 4 p.m.
Sunday: Duplicate bridge, 2 p.m.
Monday: Double Pinochle, 12:30 p.m.; Enhance Fitness, 1 p.m.; Strength training, 4 p.m.; Zumba, 6 p.m.; Duplicate Bridge, 7 p.m.
Tuesday: Pitch, 12:30 p.m.; Medicare Help, 1 to 4 p.m.; Bridge, 1:15 p.m.; PIYO, 5:30 p.m.; Yoga, 6 p.m.
Dec. 12: Line dancing, 8:30 a.m.; Completely Unraveled, 9:30 a.m.; Enhance Fitness, 11 a.m.; Pinochle, 12:30 p.m.; PIYO/Yoga, 5:30 p.m.; Dance with the Craig Stevens ($5 donation), 7:30 p.m.
Thursday: Chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes/gravy, corn, fruit
Friday: Beef stroganoff over egg noodles, peas, corn muffin, fruit
Monday: Chicken nuggets, mashed potatoes/gravy, broccoli, fruit
Tuesday: Open-faced hot roast beef sandwich, mashed potatoes/gravy, carrots, orange sherbet
Dec. 12: Ham and beans, corn muffin, cucumber slices, fresh grapes
Patti Thummel is the interim executive director of the Senior Center of Finney County and director of Meals on Wheels.