The holiday season is the time for emphasizing giving back to others in need.
When making the holiday shopping list, be sure to add one or two older adults in need. Here are reasons why you’d want to do that:
• Close to 28 percent, or 12.1 million seniors, live alone.
• About 21 percent, or one in five, of people over 65 do not drive, and it’s the main reason people isolate themselves.
• Hunger threatens over 9 million older adults, and 1 million homebound seniors are malnourished.
• Elderly suicide rates are high.
If you have trouble thinking of ways to help seniors out, here are some ideas:
• Help with house chores.
• Rake leaves or do other yard work.
• Set up their Christmas tree.
• Offer a ride.
• Take them to lunch or a movie.
• Provide respite for the family.
• Spend time with their loved one.
• Contribute time at the local senior center or residential care facility.
Be a companion
Now is the season for giving, connecting with family, sharing meals and making special memories. However, that’s not the experience of some elderly. For some, their holidays are spent alone. Be that person who creates moments of joy and goodness.
Commodities will be distributed at 10 a.m. Nov. 28 at the senior center. You must have your commodity card with you in order to receive commodities.
Thursday: Closed. Happy Thanksgiving!
Saturday: Quilts of Valor, 9 a.m.; the pool room is open from 1 to 4 p.m. Fiddlers, Pickers & Singers, 5 p.m.
Sunday: Duplicate bridge, 2 p.m.
Monday: Double Pinochle, 12:30 p.m.; Enhance Fitness, 1 p.m.; Strength training, 4 p.m.; Zumba, 6 p.m.; Duplicate Bridge, 7 p.m.
Tuesday: Pitch, 12:30 p.m.; Bridge, 1:15 p.m.; PIYO, 5:30 p.m.; Yoga, 6 p.m.
Nov. 28: Line dancing, 8:30 a.m.; Completely Unraveled, 9:30 a.m.; Commodities, 10 a.m.; Pinochle, 12:30 p.m.; Enhance Fitness, 1 p.m.; PIYO/Yoga, 5:30 p.m.; Dance with the Ortiz Band ($5.00 donation), 7:30 p.m.
Monday: Goulash, California vegetables, garlic bread, fruit
Tuesday: Ham, turkey, bacon on croissant with lettuce & tomato, potato Salad, green beans, fruit
Nov. 28: Baked ham with pineapple slice, baked potatoes with sour Cream, lima beans, fruit
Patti Thummel is the interim executive director of the Senior Center of Finney County and director of Meals on Wheels.