Published 5/31/2011 in Beef Empire Days
By The Telegram
In between events related to the beef industry, as well as the many opportunities to savor some tasty beef samples, there is plenty of entertainment during the 13-day Beef Empire Days celebration.
* Children's Story Hour — Friday and June 10
The Finney County Public Library, 605 E. Walnut St., plays host to this free event featuring Kevin Horner, a ventriloquist performing "Out of This World!" The Story Hour featuring Horner is scheduled to begin at 10 a.m. Friday.
Children of all ages are invited back at 10 a.m. June 10 for another Story Hour, this one an outdoor event (weather-permitting) featuring rodeo cowboys and clowns and maybe even a horse or two. The program also begins at 10 a.m.
Both performances are sponsored in part by Cox Communications and the Finney County Public Library. For more information, contact Elaine Scheuerman at 272-3680.
* High Plains Public Radio Children's Parade — Saturday
Children 8 and younger are invited to decorate their tricycles, wagons, scooters, bicycles, and more and head to Stevens Park for the 10 a.m. parade. This fun event is for the entire family. Costumes celebrating Beef Empire Days are encouraged, and all the children will receive a certificate and treats. Registration begins at 9 a.m., and entrants also receive a prize. For more information, contact Deb Oyler at 275-7444.
* The Beef Empire Days concert in the park will feature praise bands from local churches performing music. The concert will begin at 7 p.m. Saturday at Stevens Park. In case of inclement weather, the event will be moved to First Christian Church, 306 N. Seventh St.
* Miss Beef Empire Days Queen/Princess/Little Miss Pageant events run June 9 and 10. The pageant features three divisions: the Queen competition, for participants ages 17 to 23; Princess, for ages 12 to 16; and Little Miss, ages 7 to 11.
Participants in each division are judged in four categories: knowledge, horsemanship, personality and appearance.
The horsemanship competition is scheduled for 2 p.m. June 9 at the Finney County Fairgrounds. The Miss Beef Empire Days Rodeo Queen Style Show and Brunch is scheduled for 10 a.m. June 10 at the Finney County Fairgrounds 4-H Building, 409 Lake Ave.
The queen contestant introductions and coronation are scheduled for 7:45 p.m. June 10 during the Beef Empire Days PRCA Rodeo at the Finney County Fairgrounds Grandstand Arena.
For more information on the pageant, contact Wally Garcia at 276-2704 after 5 p.m.
* Black Hills Energy Beef Empire Days Parade — June 11
"Beef, the Only Choice!" is the theme for this year's annual parade. Garden City's largest parade is expected to have 100 or more entries. The parade begins at 10:30 a.m. on South Main Street and heads north to Walnut Street. For entry information, contact the Beef Empire Days office at 275-6807.
Found 0 comment(s)!