Custom obituary

 

Barbara E. Glover MacMillan passed away quietly in her sleep at the Presbyterian Hospital in Denton, on Sunday March 4. She was 89 years old.

Barbara was born January 4, 1929, and grew up in Caldwell KS. She began studying piano while in elementary school. She was a junior in high school when she began teaching piano lessons and continued to teach for the next 72 years of her life.

Barbara attended the University of Kansas, completing Baccalaureate degrees in Piano Performance and Music Education, and a Masters in Music Therapy, one of the first ever to complete a degree in that specialty.

Barbara began work as a Music Therapist at the Menninger Clinic in Topeka, KS, in 1953. She met her future husband, the Rev William MacMillan, who was also employed at Menninger's. They were married in 1954, and lived in a number of cities throughout the Midwest over the next 30 years. She lived in Garden City from 1973 until 1987.

Barbara was a lifelong member of The League of Women Voters, the Democratic Party and the Episcopal Church — joining while in college. She also worked for Head Start and UNICEF, as well as a number of civil rights and political causes.

Barbara and Bill retired to Denton in 2000, moving from Evergreen, CO. She remained involved in a number of activities while in Denton. She was a member of St. Barnabas Episcopal Church, and the Daughters of the King. She played trombone in the New Horizons band, was a member of the Denton Ariel Club, and served on the advisory board for the Denton Christian Pre-School. Her husband passed away in 2011.

Barbara is survived by her 5 children: Barton from Burke VA, Mark and his wife Jacqui from Boston MA, Joel and his wife Liane from Krum, TX, Keir and his wife Tonya from Roseville CA, and Ann from Denton TX, as well as 8 grandchildren.

A celebration of Barbara's life will be held at Saint Barnabas Episcopal Church on Thursday, March 8th, at 7:00 pm. The family requests in lieu of flowers contributions be made to Good Samaritan Village of Denton, or St. Barnabas Episcopal Church.