Fundraisers kick off holiday season this weekend
By The Telegram
Weekend events for the area include a fundraiser, holiday bake sale, singles dance, a toy run and more.
A list of events are as follows:
* Fantasy Tree Festival: Russell Child Development Center will host the 26th Annual Fantasy Tree Festival at the Clarion Inn and Convention Center, 1911 E. Kansas Ave., on Saturday.
The event benefits the tiny-k Early Intervention Program, which serves children from birth to 3 with developmental delays and disabilities and their families in southwest Kansas. The "evening of magic" will feature hors d'oeuvres, silent auctions, a magic show and a live auction with a variety of items donated by southwest Kansas businesses and individuals. Event tickets are $40 per person or two for $75 and include entry to Sunnyland Tablescapes from 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday, and refreshments at Ward's Garden Cafe from 2 to 4 p.m. Sunnyland Tablescape admission can be purchased separately that day at Sunnyland, 501 N. Fifth St., for $5 person. Call 275-0291 for ticketing or visit www.rcdc4kids.org.
* Peppernut Shoppe and Ten Thousand Villages Market: Featuring pies, cinnamon rolls, bierocks, kolaches, peppernuts, candies, New Year's Cookies and handcrafted wares from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturday at the Garden Valley Church Family Center, corner of Third and Campbell streets. For more information, call 276-7410.
* Singles dance: Featuring Calhouns from 7 to 10:30 p.m. Sunday at the Eagles Lodge, U.S. Highway 83 and Mary Street. Sponsored by Garden City Singles, the dance is open to the public. People attending must be age 21 or older.
* Christmas Angels Toy Run: Beginning at 1:30 p.m. Sunday at the west end of the Walmart parking lot, 3101 E. Kansas Ave. Entry fee is one new, unwrapped toy (or a $15 fee without a toy). If unable to make the run, toys may be dropped off at the American Legion, 405 S. Main St.
* Military Tattoo: The JROTC will present a Military Tattoo at 7 p.m. Saturday at Garden City High School. The tattoo tells the history of America using songs, flags, drills and essays. Tickets cost $10, and are available by contacting Lt. Col. Randy Phillips at 805-5577. All proceeds go to the JROTC Booster Club.