Weekend motel room fire caused by careless smoking


By The Telegram

By The Telegram

Garden City firefighters went to a local motel early Saturday morning in response to a motel room fire, which resulted in no injuries.

Firefighters responded to the Sunflower Inn and Suites, 1311 E. Fulton St., at 12:21 a.m. Saturday after someone from the motel reported the blaze.

"That was a room and contents fire caused by careless smoking," Garden City Fire Chief Allen Shelton said, adding that the fire was contained to the room in which it started. "There were no injuries. The room was not occupied at the time of the fire. There was a $5,000 loss to the structure and its contents."

Firefighters were on the scene until 1:20 a.m., Shelton said.

comments powered by Disqus
I commented on a story, but my comments aren't showing up. Why?
We provide a community forum for readers to exchange ideas and opinions on the news of the day.
Passionate views, pointed criticism and critical thinking are welcome. We expect civil dialogue.
Name-calling, crude language and personal abuse are not welcome.
Moderators will monitor comments with an eye toward maintaining a high level of civility in this forum.

If you don't see your comment, perhaps you ...
... called someone an idiot, a racist, a moron, etc. Name-calling or profanity (to include veiled profanity) will not be tolerated.
... rambled, failed to stay on topic or exhibited troll-like behavior intended to hijack the discussion at hand.
... included an e-mail address or phone number, pretended to be someone you aren't or offered a comment that makes no sense.
... accused someone of a crime or assigned guilt or punishment to someone suspected of a crime.
... made a comment in really poor taste.