Filling the gaps in Medicare coverage
Last week, this column covered aging into Medicare and the decisions required regarding Medicare. Medicare Part A covers hospitalization. Medicare Part B handles doctor's fees, outpatient services and more. Each provides 80 percent coverage plus co-insurance and deductibles.
If Medicare covers 80 percent of costs, what about the other 20 percent? You may be able to get health coverage that pays these costs. It fills in the gaps in Medicare coverage. This is called supplemental insurance. There are 11 different standard supplements. They are called plans, not to be confused with Medicare parts. Each plan covers different services. The cost of a supplement policy depends on the type of coverage and the company you buy it from. Medicare supplements are standardized so that each Plan A provides the same coverage no matter which insurance company you purchase it from. This enables you to shop strictly by premium if you wish. Each Plan B has the same coverage, etc.
A very important consideration with Medicare supplements is that since they are private insurance, they are more costly than Medicare Parts A and B. Because they are more costly, they are optional. However, you are only guaranteed acceptance with a Medicare supplement for the first six months after enrolling with Medicare Parts A and B. Once this time has passed, you will not get the chance again without underwriting. The temptation may be to delay purchasing a supplement to save the premium for a while. Do not let this opportunity get away.
Counselors are available to help understand these decisions. Call 272-3620 and request an appointment with a SHICK (Senior Health Insurance Counselor of Kansas) counselor. Next week this column will cover drug plans.
Rides to airport
Effective March 1, Finney County Transit began providing transportation to Garden City Regional Airport. Make your booking early for pick up and drop off at your home by calling 272-3626 or stop by Finney County Transit office at 1008 N. 11th St. Fare is $5/person. The service is not available on weekends.
Thanks for help
Many thanks to the volunteers from RSVP, Corvin Betts, Jamie Hitchcock and Duane Riley, who delivered Meals on Wheels last week.
Are you interested in helping with Meals on Wheels? Substitute drivers are always needed. If you would like to help, call Patti at 272-3620 or 260-6282.
Thursday, the TOPS Club will meet at 9 a.m., followed by art class at 10 a.m. Gentle exercises start at 11 a.m. The Ambassador Singers practice at 1 p.m. Skip-Bo begins at 1 p.m. The board of the Senior Citizens Association meets at 3:15 p.m. Yoga begins at 6:30 p.m.
Friday the day begins with line dancing at 8:30 a.m. A nurse from St. Catherine Hospital will be here from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Bridge starts at 12:45 p.m.
Saturday, Prairie Land Food pick-up is at noon. The pool room is open from 1 to 4 p.m.
Sunday has duplicate bridge at 2 p.m.
Monday begins with walking at 8:30 a.m. The Humdingers Band practices at 12:30 p.m. Double pinochle begins at 12:30 p.m. Zumba begins again for another six weeks. Join Kathy White and exercise to a Latin beat. Duplicate bridge starts at 7 p.m.
Tuesday has gentle exercises at 11 a.m. Pitch starts at 12:30 p.m. Bridge begins at 1:15 p.m. Bingo starts at 1:30 p.m.
March 27 has line dancing at 8:30 a.m. Library outreach is at 11:30 a.m. Pinochle begins at 12:40 p.m. The regular Wednesday night dance featuring Bob Walter begins at 7:30 p.m. The recommended donation is $5.
Lunch is served at noon.
Thursday: Meat loaf, mashed potatoes and gravy, marinated tomatoes, bread, gelatin.
Friday: Baked fish or chicken and stuffing, broccoli, fruit muffin, peaches.
Monday: Chicken and noodle casserole, oriental vegetables, bread, apricots.
Tuesday: Roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy, Harvard beets, roll, angel cake with strawberries.
March 27: Chicken and rice, green beans, California vegetables, wheat bread, fruit cocktail.
2013 — Celebrating 35 years at the Senior Center of Finney County. Check out our website at www.seniorcenterfc.com.