GCCC among nation's best on higher ed website
By The Telegram
Garden City Community College has been ranked as the No. 31 community college in the United States by TheBestSchools.org, a leading higher education/career website. The selection of the top 50 two-year colleges was based on a comparison of several studies and ratings of community colleges, each with unique selection criteria, as well as the school's reputation and a review of notable community colleges.
The factors identified by TheBestSchools.org as especially significant to select the top community colleges were:
* Sustained achievement outcomes: ongoing success in student perseverance and completion of associate degrees and/or transfer to four-year colleges.
* Learning outcomes: values and practices that actively engage students and require them to stretch academically, explore learning freely, and pursue a variety of educational experiences and areas of study.
* Deployment outcomes: strong rates of employment, salaries and advancement for graduates matched with workplace skill needs.
* Equitable outcomes: Policies and practices that result in student diversity and success among low-income students and under-represented racial/ethnic groups (African American, Hispanic/Latino and Native American).
* Cost-to-value outcomes: Reasonable tuition costs, access to financial aid resources and an emphasis on minimizing post-school debt.
"I really want to congratulate our faculty and our staff," said Herbert Swender, GCCC president. "The eyes of the nation are on GCCC, not only for doing things right, but also for doing the right things."
"I have had the honor of serving previously at three other community colleges," Swender said, "but I have never before been part of an institution that offers the range, the quality and the wealth of programs and services that you will find here."
This year's top 50 community colleges include institutions in 26 states. Other Kansas institutions making the list for 2013 are North Central Kansas Technical College and Independence Community College.
The complete list of the 50 best community colleges may be viewed at The 50 Best Community Colleges in the United States article. TheBestSchools.org is an independent organization with no ties to any other educational institution. All of its editors are knowledgeable of the academic world, with some holding doctorates and having extensive experience in teaching, research and publishing at the university level.