A 21-year-old Garden City man was severely burned early Sunday morning when some kerosene caught fire in his mobile home.

Garden City police and firefighters responded to the fire at 2801 N. Eighth St., Lot 4, at about 4:10 a.m. Sunday. The man, Bryan Vazquez, had extinguished the fire before officers and firefighters arrived.

Vazquez had been using Coleman kerosene lanterns to heat and light his mobile home, Garden City Fire Department Battalion Chief Rick Collins said. While Vazquez was handling one of the lanterns, some of the kerosene spilled and caught fire, Collins said.

Finney County EMS took Vazquez to St. Catherine Hospital, where he was later flown to Via Christi Hospital Burn Unit in Wichita. A Via Christi representative said Vazquez was no longer listed as a patient on Monday.

The residence sustained minimal structural damage to the kitchen floor, front door and side wall, according to police.