The Garden City Family YMCA recently awarded more than 100 memberships to area youths as part of its 2017 Keeping Our Promise program. Financial support from 38 local individuals and corporate sponsors made the awards possible.
Students who regularly demonstrate the YMCAs core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility are nominated by their schools. The YMCA staff then surprises the recipients with their awards during all-school assemblies in front of their peers.
The 2017-18 recipients are listed by school:
• Abe Hubert Elementary School: Alvaro Rivera, Devante Ward, Enrique Delgado, Gracen Montoya, Isabella Herrada, Jahzara Montemayor;
• Alta Brown Elementary School: Nailea Hernandez, Chloe Flores, Apolinar Ensastegui, Julio Ensastegui, Eli Pearson, Kolton Pearson, Desmond Garcia;
• Bernadine Sitts Intermediate Center: Valeria Baro, Hla Aye, Diana Mora, Michael Macias, Monique Carmona, Alondra Carmona, Xavion Nunez, Kemish Hernandez, Trevor Rhodes;
• Buffalo Jones Elementary School: Jimmy Hilario, Donavan Vargas, Gerardo Ortiz, Jessly Garcia, Ruben Alegria, Sebastian Jurado;
• Charles O. Stones Intermediate Center: Jhonny Ozaeta, Gavin Norton, Marcus Lopez, Francisco Chavez, Ngwe Win, Betsy Soto, Natalie Garcia, Gisselle Acevedo, Ivanna DeLaRosa;
• Edith Scheurman Elementary School: Cesar Fierro, Lizbeth Lopez-Tena, Jorge Barahona-Lopez, Silvia Barahona-Lopez, Luis Barahona-Lopez;
• Florence Wilson Elementary School: Amaya Garcia, Alicia Garcia, Benjamin Ramos, Abraham Ramos, Azlynn Hanneman, Marsae Hanneman;
• Georgia Matthews Elementary School: Van Smith, Brenna Smith, Laura Smith, Saya Smith, Kaylei Landon-Thomas, Emjay Marez;
• Gertrude Walker Elementary School: Rachel Langley, Martha Fisher, Brandon Flores, Angel Velleda, Christopher Velleda, Michelle Ward, Damara Ward, Demarcus Ward;
• Holcomb Elementary School: Alex Venegas, Luis Venegas, Adela Nas-Ventura, Jose Santoyo, Adrian Santoyo;
• Jennie Barker Elementary School: Davin Britton, Aaron Martinez, Angel Rojo-Perez, Marco Rojo-Perez, Hector Viramontes, Nathalie Viramontes;
• Jennie Wilson Elementary School: Maya Johnson, Ava Johnson, Trip Johnson, Alaney Rivero Salazar, Miguel Rivero Salazar, Blake Hill, Bentley Hill;
• Plymell Elementary School: Justin Baneulos, Gage Hamm, Clayton Mann, Marjore Mann;
• St. Dominic Catholic School: Jacoby DeLaRosa, Nailah DeLaRosa;
• St. Mary Catholic School: Andres Diaz, Alonzo Guevara, Isabel Espino, Abigail Herrera, Adolfo Quezada, Mariela Loza;
• Victor Ornelas Elementary School: Bryan Cintora, Maria Cintora, Julian Gonzalez, Jayden Garcia, Ahilynee Romero, Jayden Romero;
• Wiley Elementary School in Holcomb: Isaac Venegas, Christian Baier, Blanca Baier, Raphael Santoyo.
For more information or to donate to Keeping Our Promise, contact YMCA CEO Chad Knight at (620) 937-2199 or firstname.lastname@example.org.