In other business during Tuesday's City Commission meeting:
• Commissioners approved a $18,478.95 bid from Worth Harley Davidson in Kansas City for a police department motorcycle. The Police Department's approved 2018 budget includes funds for the purchase of one motorcycle.
• Commissioners approved a bid for three 2018 Toyota RAV4 LE's from Lewis Motors in Garden City for a 36 month term, the total cost will be $33,703.56, payable in monthly installments for the Neighborhood & Development Services Department. According to meeting documents, the preferred staff choice for vehicles and the primary bid option for inspections and field work is the small SUV all-wheel or four-wheel drive vehicle. In the last two lease cycles the Governing Body has selected the small SUV all-wheel or four-wheel drive vehicle as well.
• An Addendum to Lease Agreement by and between the City of Garden City (City) and FBO Air-Garden City, Inc., (Tenant) was approved by the Commission.
The City and Aircraft Services, Inc., entered into a Lease Agreement in January 2008. Aircraft Services, Inc. provided airplane mechanic services. The Aircraft Service, Inc. lease was set to terminate Dec. 31, 2012 with the option to extend the term for an additional five years. The lease was extended to Dec. 31, 2017. The annual rent for a hangar, office, and parts room was $6,780, according to meeting documents.
Aircraft Services, Inc., transferred and assigned the Lease Agreement to FBO Air-Garden City, Inc. (the company that provides Fixed Base Operations services at the airport), which was approved by the Governing Body in October 2016. Given the lease will expire on at the end of the year, the City and FBO Air-Garden City desire to renegotiate rent and extend the term of the Lease Agreement.
Accordingly, staff and FBO Air-Garden City representatives have proposed the Addendum to Lease Agreement. The proposed term is Jan. 1, 2018, to Dec. 31, 2030, with the option to extend the term for an additional 5 years. The annual rent is $7,980.
The Addendum incorporates hangar, office and the parts room that became another FBO Air-Garden City lease through the Assignment and Assumption of the former Aircraft Services, Inc. lease. The rent attributable to the hangar, office and parts room is proposed to increase 18 percent, from $6,780 to $7,980.
• Carmen DeLaTorre was approved to fill a vacant seat on the Airport Advisory Board, per recommendation of the board. Her term is Jan.1, 2018 to Dec. 31, 2020.
• Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) representatives recognized Garden City Police Master Patrol Officer Michael Kerley for his outstanding efforts to keep the streets in Garden City safe from impaired drivers.
The GCPD strives for all officers to identify individuals that are driving impaired and has increased training for officers to detect individuals that are driving impaired.
In 2017, there has been a 79 percent increase of drivers arrested for driving impaired in Garden City with 161 arrests from January to October of 2017 compared to 90 arrests during the same time frame in 2016.
Susan Ratzlaff, Victim Services Specialist with MADD, contacted GCPD police chief Mike Utz regarding MADD wanting to recognize Master Patrol Officer Kerley for his efforts in making the streets safe by “working against impaired drivers”, according to meeting documents.
• The following Cereal Malt Beverage were renewed:
Carniceria Garcia Market; Circle K Stores #2721601; Circle K Stores #2721620; Express Corner; Fulton Convenience Store; Kwik Shop #701; Quicker Market; Walmart #0652; Walmart #4625; Walmart #4625 – Fuel Station; Pizza Hut #125; Plank’s BBQ; Tacos Y Mariscos El Canelo, LLC; Food Mart #3; Carniceria Garcia Restaurant; and Taco Salinas.