A number of Garden City Public Schools have scheduled open houses to provide parents the opportunity to become familiar with the schools, teachers and classrooms that their children will be attending for the school year.
The following open houses are scheduled:
• Thursday: Garden City High School, 2720 Buffalo Way Blvd., 5 to 7 p.m.; Horace J. Good Middle School, 1412 N. Main St., 5:30 to 7 p.m.; and Kenneth Henderson Middle School, 2406 Fleming St., 5 to 6 p.m.
• Friday: Victor Ornelas Elementary School, 3401 E. Spruce St., 7:15 to 8 a.m. and 3:45 to 4:30 p.m.; Buffalo Jones Elementary School, 708 Taylor Ave., 4:30 to 5:30 p.m.; Edith Scheuerman Elementary School, 1901 Wilcox St., 5 to 6 p.m.; Abe Hubert Elementary School, 1205 A St., 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.; Jennie Wilson Elementary School, 1401 Harding Ave., 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.; and Florence Wilson Elementary School, 1709 Labrador Blvd., 6 to 7:30 p.m.
• Monday: Gertrude Walker Elementary School, 805 W. Fair St., 5 to 6:30 p.m.; Alta Brown Elementary School, 1110 East Pine St., 6 to 7:30 p.m.; Garfield Early Childhood Center, 121 W. Walnut St., 6 to 7 p.m.; Georgia Matthews Elementary School, 111 Johnson St., 6 to 7 p.m.; and Bernadine Sitts Intermediate Center, 3101 Belmont Place, 6 to 7 p.m.
• Tuesday: Charles O. Stones Intermediate Center, 401 Jennie Barker Road, 6 to 7 p.m.
• Aug. 22: Jennie Barker Elementary School, 5585 N. Jennie Barker Road, 6 to 7 p.m.; Plymell Elementary School, 20 W. Plymell Road, 6 to 7 p.m.
The first day of school for the 2017-18 school year will be Monday, with a half-day orientation for students in kindergarten through fifth grade, seventh, ninth and 10 grades, and all students new to the district. The first full day of school for the district will be Tuesday.