Published 2/7/2013 in Local NewsBy ANGIE HAFLICH
This weekend's events include a benefit auction, a music program and the county spelling bee.
The third annual Spirit of the Plains, CASA benefit auction is taking place Saturday at the Clarion Inn, 1911 E. Kansas Ave.
The 170-item silent auction begins at 6 p.m., and the live auction begins at 7:45 p.m.
"From the Garden City Fire Department, for part of the live auction, they're donating a ride for two kids in the fire truck and then lunch or dinner with the firefighters," Susan Escareno, director of Spirit of the Plains, CASA, said. "We have a leather sofa from Garnand's, a trip to Kansas City that includes two nights at Great Wolf Lodge and six passes to the zoo. We have a mini iPad. We have a six-night stay in Mazatlan in a resort and then we have our casa for CASA kids' playhouse that we'll be auctioning off, too."
Hors d'oeuvres and a chocolate fountain will be served throughout the evening, and live entertainment will feature the Dodge City band, "Ask Vinnie."
Advance tickets are $25 and are available at the Clarion Inn, Corner on Main, and any Commerce Bank location in Garden City. In Scott City, advance tickets are available at Gifts, Etc. and Western State Bank, and in Leoti, they are available at The Cinnamon Bear.
"They can buy advance tickets up until the doors open, and they can still purchase tickets at the door," Escareno said.
Proceeds will go to benefit Spirit of the Plains, CASA, but Escareno said they also are setting up a special table of auction items to benefit a Garden City man and they are currently seeking donations for that table.
"One of our volunteers, Sherry Drussell, her husband was burned severely on the day after Christmas. Since then, he has had both of his legs amputated below the knee and is on dialysis, so we're going to have a special table of auction items that the proceeds will go to the Drussells, and we are still looking for some auction items to be donated for that table," Escareno said, adding that they are accepting donations up until Saturday.
For more information, contact Escareno at 271-6197. Donations can be dropped of at the CASA office, 310 E. Walnut, Suite 208. All donations are tax deductible.
Also happening this weekend is a musical program featuring "The Blue Notes" variety band, which will begin at 7:30 p.m. Friday at the Senior Center in Scott City. The dance is open to the public.
On Saturday morning, students from across Finney County will participate in the Finney County Spelling Bee. The competition will begin at 9 a.m. in the auditorium at Garden City High School, 2720 Buffalo Way Blvd.¬
Students from elementary through middle school will be competing in the spelling bee.¬ The first- and second-place winners will qualify to participate in the State Spelling Bee scheduled for March 2 in Hays.
The spelling bee winners from Finney County schools include:
* Abe Hubert Elementary School: 1. Darian Negron; 2. Sadie Pawley; 3. Makenna Metheny; alternate, Alfredo Rosales
* Alta Brown Elementary School: 1. Adam Flores; 2. Grace Golladay; 3. Litzy Gamez-Hernandez; alternate, Daniel Huerta
* Buffalo Jones Elementary School: 1. Isaias Moreno; 2. Alfonso Bustos Bravo; 3. Emilee Allsbury; alternate, Diego Reta-Aragon
* Edith Scheuerman Elementary School: 1. Jyothilakshmi (Jyothi) Kalarikkal; 2. Moises Meza; 3. Rogelio Martinez; alternate, Xaviera Lindsley
* Florence Wilson Elementary School: 1. Jillian Artus; 2. Paola Ramos; 3. McKenna Jagels; alternate, Le Van Tin
* Georgia Matthews Elementary School: 1. Alexis Aguirre-Santoyo; 2. Paola Aguilar-Moreno; 3. Rachelle Garcia-Andrade; alternate, McKenzie Gray
* Gertrude Walker Elementary School: 1. Nayeli Basilio; 2. Jorge Hinojosa; 3. Allison Sandoval; alternate, Chloe Sandoval
* Jennie Barker Elementary School: 1. Alexis Heckel; 2. Karly Larson; 3. Dade Horney; alternate, Rylan Anderson
* Jennie Wilson Elementary School: 1. Adam Kennington; 2. Christian Hampton; 3. Joshua Janas; alternate, Aaliyah Garcia
* Plymell Elementary School: 1. Chloe Hanigan; 2. Austin Underwood; 3. Peyton Wessels; alternate, Olivia Hanigan
* Victor Ornelas Elementary School: 1. Vivian Le; 2. Marcayla McGregor; 3. Benjamin Lackmanh; alternate, Luis Arreola
* Bernadine Sitts Intermediate Center: 1. Adrian Lopez; 2. Guillermo Patino; 3. Hope Hernandez; alternate, Nateara Beasley
* Charles O. Stones Intermediate Center: 1. Giovanni Delgado; 2. Jose Cruz; 3. Rebecca Crow; alternate, Hafeez Abdulatif
* Horace J. Good Middle School: 1. Brandie Cruz; 2. Madison Maxfield; 3. Eliana Valdez; alternate, Destiny Guerrero
* Kenneth Henderson Middle School: 1. Lawson Lam; 2. Daniel Carrasco & Rafael Uribe (tied)
* The High Plains Home Educators: 1. Katherine Hubbard; 2. Julia Hamm; 3. Scotty Purdy; alternate, Josiah Thomas
* Holcomb Elementary school: 1. Braden Mitchell; 2. Thelma Woodring; 3. Corbin Goddard; alternate, Isaiah Armstrong
* Holcomb Middle School: 1. Megan Burrows; 2. Michael Peterson; 3. Kobe Dickinson; alternate, Micah Schneider
* St. Dominic School: 1. Jessica Pammenter; 2. Taylor Savolt; 3. Carson Tanner
* St. Mary School: 1.¬ Allison Nieman; 2. Zylus Arteaga; 3. Ana Casados
Found 0 comment(s)!