* Check your antifreeze. Your antifreeze is an essential part of your car's winter protection. Your car contains a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze. Make sure the level is full and the mixture is close to 50/50.
* Inspect your tires. Winter is not the time to get cheap about your tires, so take the time to check the tread depth. The National Highway Transportation Safety Board says you need at least 2/32" of depth to be safe. Also, be sure to check your tire pressure as tires can lose a little pressure when it gets cold.
* Replace your wipers. It takes wipers that are in top shape to keep your windshield clean and safe. Check your windshield washer fluid. You'll be using lots of washer fluid as you try to keep your windshield sparkly. Don't fill your washer fluid reservoir with anything except washer fluid that won't freeze!
On top of the checks you need to perform to ensure safe winter driving, now's a good time to do some annual maintenance. These aren't necessarily specific to winter driving, but it's a good point on the calendar to get around to doing this stuff.
* Clean your battery posts. Regularly treating your battery to a cleaning can keep electrical problems away.
* Inspect your spark plug wires. Cracked-up plug wires affect performance, gas mileage and general reliability. Be sure yours are in top shape.
* Inspect your brakes. Brakes are not a good area to cut corners. Be sure your brakes have enough meat left to get you through the season.
* Check your engine oil. Check the oil monthly, and get an oil change.
Cold weather safety should be a concern for anybody living in a cold climate. These tips will give you the upper hand when Old Man Winter tries to put a chill on your winter travels.
Open enrollment for Medicare ends Dec. 7. Get your appointment now by calling 272-3620.
Thanks for help
This year, 2012, is the 40th anniversary of Meals on Wheels in Garden City. Many thanks to the staff of St. Catherine Hospital and Duane Riley who delivered Meals on Wheels last week.
Are you interested in helping with Meals on Wheels? Substitute drivers are always needed. If you would like to help, call Patti at 272-3620 or 260-6282.
It is time to renew your eligibility to ride the Mini Bus in 2013. Be sure to ask the next time you schedule the bus. Don't delay so you don't lose your service!
Never ridden the Mini Bus? Get an application now before the weather turns bad. Let us do the driving.
Thursday, TOPS Club will meet at 9 a.m., followed by art class at 10 a.m. Join us at 11:30 a.m. for patriotic music presented by the High Plains Home Educators. Lunch will be provided by Garden Valley Retirement Village. A lunch ticket is required. Bring a canned good for Emmaus House. A fashion show will be presented during lunch. The Ambassador Singers practice at 1 p.m. Life Writing group meets at 1 p.m. Yoga begins at 6:30 p.m.
Friday begins with line dancing at 8:30 a.m. A nurse from St. Catherine Hospital will be here from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Bridge starts at 12:45 p.m. Nutrition Committee meets at 1 p.m.
Saturday, the pool room is open from 1 to 4 p.m.
Sunday, duplicate bridge meets at 2 p.m.
Monday begins with walking at 8:30 a.m. The Humdinger Band meets at 12:30 p.m. Double pinochle starts at 12:30 p.m. RSVP Board meets at 1 p.m. Zumba is at 5:30 p.m., followed by duplicate bridge at 7 p.m.
Tuesday has gentle exercises at 11 a.m. Pitch starts at 12:30 p.m. Bridge begins at 1:15 p.m.
Nov. 21 has line dancing at 8:30 a.m. The senior center and Finney County Transit will close at 1 p.m. No dance is scheduled. Services will resume on Nov. 26. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.
Lunch is served at noon.
Thursday (luncheon provided by Garden Valley Retirement Village): Turkey with potatoes and gravy, dressing, broccoli, wheat roll, pumpkin pie.
Friday: Spaghetti and meat sauce, tossed salad, corn, French bread, applesauce.
Monday: Sloppy Joe on bun, potato wedge, spinach salad, peaches.
Tuesday: Chicken Parmesan, peas, carrots, wheat bread, mandarin oranges.
Nov. 21: Roast pork with potatoes and gravy, cauliflower, fruit muffin, Waldorf salad.
Check out our website at www.seniorcenterfc.com.