We are continuing with tips on nutrition for June. Healthy eating is important to prevent chronic diseases such as heart disease and diabetes. Consider the tips listed below.
Six ways to eat well as you get older:
• Know what a healthy plate looks like, see www.ChooseMyPlate.gov.
• Look for important nutrients — eat enough protein, fruits and vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy and Vitamin D
• Read nutrition labels — be a smart shopper! Find items that are lower in fat, added sugars and sodium.
• Use recommended servings — learn the recommended daily servings for adults aged 60+ at www.heart.org.
• Stay hydrated — water is an important nutrient, too! Drink fluids consistently throughout the day.
• Stretch your food budget — get help paying for healthy food at www.BenefitsCheckUp.org/getSNAP.
Thursday: TOPS, 8:30 a.m.; art class, 10 a.m.; Ambassador Singers and Skip-Bo, 1 p.m.; strength training, 4 p.m.; yoga, 6 p.m.
Friday: Line dancing, 8:30 a.m.; Craft Shop check-in/out, 10 a.m.; a nurse from St. Catherine Hospital is here from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.; bridge, 12:45 p.m.; EnhanceFitness, 2 p.m.
Saturday: The pool room is open from 1 to 4 p.m.
Sunday: Duplicate bridge, 2 p.m.
Monday: Double pinochle, 12:30 p.m.; EnhanceFitness, 2 p.m.; strength training, 4 p.m.; Zumba, 6 p.m.; duplicate bridge, 7 p.m.
Tuesday: Walking, 9 a.m. at Walmart; pitch, 12:30 p.m.; bridge, 1:15 p.m.; yoga, 6 p.m.
June 20: Line dancing, 8:30 a.m.; Completely Unraveled, 9:30 a.m.; pinochle, 12:30 p.m.; EnhanceFitness, 2 p.m.; dance featuring Bob Walters, 7:30 p.m. (recommended donation is $5).
Lunch is served at noon.
Thursday: Chicken-fried steak, mashed potatoes with gravy, corn, fruit.
Friday: Baked ham with pineapple slice, scalloped potatoes, peas, cookie.
Monday: Chicken tenders, mashed potatoes, gravy, broccoli, fruit.
Tuesday: Open-faced hot roast beef sandwich, mashed potatoes with gravy, carrots, fruit.
June 20: Sloppy Joe on a bun, potato salad, baked beans, fruit.
Check out our website at www.seniorcenterfc.com.