As winter nears and the temperature drops, it's a good idea for caregivers to get ready for the cold months ahead. Here are some tips from the National Association of Area Agencies on Aging on how caregivers can make sure their loved ones stay warm and safe:
* Make sure your loved one does not use his or her stove or oven to heat his or her home.
* Encourage your loved one to keep a flashlight handy in case the electricity goes out. Don't use candles.
* If your loved one is using a space heater, make sure the wires are in good shape and that they're out of the way to avoid tripping over them.
* Make sure your loved one's smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are checked every year.
* Make sure your loved one's water pipes are insulated. This keeps them from freezing and bursting.
Thanks for help
Many thanks to last week's Meals on Wheels volunteers. Are you interested in helping with Meals on Wheels? Substitute drivers are always needed. If you would like to help with this wonderful service, call Patti at 272-3620 or 260-6282.
Thursday begins with TOPS at 9 a.m., followed by art class at 10 a.m. Our annual Christmas luncheon sponsored by Commerce Bank will begin with Christmas music at 11:30 a.m., followed by lunch at noon. Tickets are required. Bingo begins after lunch. The Ambassador Singers practice at 1 p.m. Skip-Bo is played at 1 p.m. A snooker tournament will start at 1 p.m. Yoga is at 6:30 p.m.
Friday begins with line dancing at 8:30 a.m. A nurse from St. Catherine Hospital will be available from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Bridge starts at 12:45 p.m. Saturday has Prairie Land Food pick-up at noon. The pool room is open from 1 to 4 p.m.
Sunday has duplicate bridge at 2 p.m.
Monday has double pinochle at 12:30 p.m. Duplicate bridge begins at 7 p.m.
Tuesday has walking at 8:30 a.m. Gentle exercises starts at 11 a.m. The senior center and Finney County Transit will close at 1 p.m. and remained closed until Dec. 27 when services resume at their regular time. The staff and board of directors wishes everyone a very merry Christmas.
Lunch is served at noon.
Thursday (Christmas luncheon sponsored by Commerce Bank): Baked ham, sweet potatoes, vegetables, wheat roll, cherry crisp. Friday: Chicken and stuffing, Harvard beets, tropical fruit salad, wheat roll.
Monday: Beef and noodles, Scandinavian vegetables, strawberries and pears, wheat bread.
Tuesday: Chicken Parmesan, baked potato, green beans, orange slices, wheat bread.
Dec. 25: Closed.