Discover SW Kansas Class of 2013 Beef Empire Days   BED – Event Coverage 2013 Bridal Show Honor Flight Progress Report 2012 SW Kansas Pro-Am Youth In Excellence View Special Section PDFs
All Classifieds Jobs Real Estate Garage Sales
Southwest Life and Events United Way Fundraising Weather
Local and National Top 10 of 2011 Preps Live E-Edition
Local and National Top 10 of 2011 Business News E-Edition
Recent Videos Recent Photos Recent Podcasts Podcasts-Talk of the Town

  Add Your Comment | Read (0) Comments

Local utilities/services

Published 5/2/2012

The city of Garden City provides electric, water, sewer and solid waste collection services. As a city utility customer, charges for these services will be assessed and itemized for you in one monthly bill. Services may be set up or transferred in one of three ways:

* Visit the City Administrative Center, 301 N. Eighth St., to set up utility services. Bring a valid picture ID, secondary ID (Social Security Card, work or student ID, passport, etc), lease agreement (if renting). Services can be turned on same day with required information presented by 1 p.m.. The deposit and connection fees must be paid at the time of connection and cannot be added to the utility bill.

* If you are unable to visit the Service & Finance office to establish service prior to the time services are needed, fill out a service agreement form and return it before the date service is needed. Required documentation and deposit/connect fees are due to the Service & Finance office by 10 a.m. on the first business day after utilities are connected. They may be brought to the office, mailed, or put in the night drop located at the City Administrative Center.

* If you are unable to visit the Service & Finance office to establish service and need someone else to set up utility services on your behalf, complete an authorization form. The person who is representing you should present this completed form, required documentation, service address, and money for the connection fees and deposit prior to 1 p.m. for same day service. The city is unable to bill these charges.

For same day service after 5 p.m., contact (620) 276-1300. Certain restrictions and fees will apply.

* You can fill out a form and return it before service is needed. A copy of your photo ID and the deposit are due to the city office by 10 a.m. on the first business day after utilities are connected. The connection fees, deposit fees, and a copy of your photo ID may be brought to the office, mailed, or put in the night drop located at the City Administrative Center.

Mail materials to:

City of Garden City

Service & Finance

301 N. Eighth St.

P.O. Box 499

Garden City, KS 67846

Fax materials to: 276-1104

Deposits are collected at the time service is set up. Anyone who meets the following circumstances must pay a deposit:

* If you have not had service with the city of Garden City before.

* If you have had service with the city before but for less than 12 months.

* If you have had a utility account with the city turned over to a collection agency.

If you can provide an acceptable letter of credit from a previous utility company, the deposit may be waived. Deposits are credited to the customer's utility account after 12 consecutive months of on-time payments or are applied to the final bill. Deposits required are as follows:

Residential Water: $25

Residential Electric: $75

Industrial & Commercial Water: $35

Industrial & Commercial Electric: $100

Connection Fees:

A connection fee for utility service also must be paid at the time service is set up. Connection fees and taxes are nonrefundable. The connection fees are as follows:

Electricity: $10

Water: $10

Residential Electric Tax: $.22

Commercial Electric Tax: $.85

After hours connection fee: $75

After hours connection fee tax: $1.61

To set up natural gas service from Black Hills Energy:

* Call 24-hour customer service at (888) 890-5554

* Visit and click "Request service"

Trash disposal

The city of Garden City provides trash collection twice a week, with Dumpsters located primarily in alleys behind homes and at apartment complexes.

The city uses an automated system in which drivers remain in their trucks, so waste must be placed inside the Dumpster and not to the side.

The charges for each residential unit shall be $19.25 per month in accordance with the billing rules established by ordinance for payment of utility bills. Residential units utilizing the individual roll-out refuse containers shall be considered residential, and shall be billed accordingly. Those residential units requesting additional individual roll-out refuse containers shall be charged an additional fee of $9.60 per month per each additional refuse container. Multiple family units shall be billed $12.80 per unit per month.

The charges to be paid by each commercial unit for the collection, hauling, and disposal of refuse shall be fixed at $12 per month per cubic yard collected weekly in accordance with the following schedule of charges:

The following materials or substances shall be prohibited from being placed in City refuse containers:

* All building contractor waste

* All household hazardous waste liquids (paints, oil, petroleum, etc)

* All medical service waste generated through human or animal care through inpatient or outpatient services

* All unprocessed animal matter intended for consumption by animals, but not yet processed

* All wash rack residue, earth, grass from commercial or owner power raking, sod, tree trimmings greater than two inches diameter or longer than four feet, concrete, and bricks

More information about solid waste guidelines is available from the Garden City Public Works Department at 276-1260.

Driver's license

The Finney County driver's license office, 2506 Johns St., can be reached at 276-8411. The office is open 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays.

Anyone who has never been licensed must complete the following requirements:

* Present acceptable proof of identity and proof of residency (list of acceptable documents is available at or at the local license bureau)

* Have no canceled, suspended or revoked licenses in other states

* Pass a vision examination

* Pass all written exams

* Pass a driving exam (vehicle provided by the applicant)

* Pay applicable fees ($8 for photo, $3 for exams and an additional $12 to $24 depending on license class and length)

Drivers who already have a valid out-of-state license must present proof of identity and residency; not be canceled, suspended, or revoked in any state; pass a vision exam and pay applicable fees, but if the license still is current, they do not have to pass written or driving exams. If an out-of-state license expired one year ago or less, applicants also must pass a written exam, and if it expired more than a year ago, they also must pass a driving exam. No one transferring a license may have canceled, suspended or revoked licenses in any other state.

The Finney County treasurer can renew and replace most types of Kansas driver's licenses at the Finney County Administrative Center, 311 N. Ninth St. The office can be reached at 276-3528.

For more information about obtaining a Kansas driver's license, go to the local license office or the Kansas Department of Revenue website at Questions can be emailed to

Vehicle registration

Before making an application for a Kansas title and registration, drivers with vehicles titled outside of Kansas must take their vehicles to a Kansas motor vehicle inspection station and obtain a Motor Vehicle Examination. The Finney County station is the Holcomb Police Department, which can be reached at 277-2761. A vehicle inspection also can be conducted by a Kansas Highway Patrol officer by calling 276-3201.

The Motor Vehicle Examination, title and proof of insurance should be taken to the county treasurer's motor vehicle office to make application for Kansas title and registration. Information about fees and taxes is available from the Finney County Treasurer's Office, 311 N. Main St., or 276-3528.

Vehicle registration (license plate) also can be renewed on the Internet by using the PIN number from a renewal notice and a credit or debit card to pay property taxes and registration renewal fees. The insurance company must be participating with the Kansas Division of Vehicles to verify insurance coverage.


The city of Garden City operates a recycling program with drop-off trailers and cardboard containers at the following locations:

* City of Garden City Recycle Center, 125 J.C. St., P.O. Box 998, Garden City KS 67846, (620) 276-1260,

The center is open noon to 3 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, with staff available to sort materials. The recycling center also features a 24-hour drop-off location.

Other drop-off trailers:

* Westlake Ace Hardware parking lot, 1210 Fleming St.

* Garden City Auto Parts — NAPA, 1402 Buffalo Jones Ave.

* Pershing Manor, near Third Street and Kansas Avenue

* Esquivel Soccer Field, Mary Street and Pearly Jane Avenue

* Ron's Market, 106 N. Jones Ave., Holcomb

Materials accepted at the drop-off trailers include paper products (sort the paper accordingly and bag), plastic containers marked with No. 1 or No. 2, aluminum cans and tin cans. Containers should be clean. Magazines, newspaper and paper products may be put in the paper products bin as long as they are bagged separately or bound together.

Other recycling locations:

Aluminum cans:

* Eastside Iron - 276-3189

* Garden City Recycle Center (donations only) - 276-1260


* Garden City Iron & Metal - 277-0227

Grocery Bags:

* Community Day Care (plastic) - 275-5757

* Emmaus House (plastic and paper) - 275-2008

* Walmart (plastic only) - 275-0775

Lead/Acid Batteries:

* Eastside Iron - 276-3189

* Walmart (with purchase of new battery) - 275-0775

* Garden City Iron and Metal - 277-0227

Motor Oil

* Oil Alley - 275-4046

Old Clothing and Shoes:

* United Methodist Mexican-American Ministries - 275-1766

* Methodist Church Clothing Center - 275-6039

* Goodwill Industries - 275-1007

* Salvation Army Thrift Store - 276-4027

Plastic Containers (Clean):

* Community Day Care (any kind of plastic container) - 275-5757

* Emmaus House (containers with lids i.e. butter tubs, Cool Whip tubs) - 275-2008

Recyclable Batteries:

* Radio Shack - 276-6476

Scrap Metal:

* Eastside Iron - 276-3189

* Garden City Iron & Metal - 277-0227

Storm shelters

The following is a list of storm shelters in Garden City:

* 409 N. Main St.

* 1515 E. Kansas Ave.

* 314 N. Main St.

* 215 N. Main St.

* 102 N. 11th St.

* 801 Campus Drive

* 111 E. Johnson St.

* 600 N. Jones Ave.

* 403 Emmanuel Drive

* 106 S. Henderson St.

* 611 Buffalo Jones Ave.

* 1106 N. Main St.

* 1010 Fleming St.

* 3004 N, Third St.

* 203 E. Avenue A

* 2790 E. GANO Road

* 5620 N. Big Lowe Road

* 2790 W. Tennis Road

* 425 N. Eight St.

* 919 Zerr Road

* 507 W. Santa Fe St.

* 304 N. Ninth St.

* 606 E. Walnut St.

* 907 N. 10th St.

* 301 N. Eight St.

* 302 N. Ninth St.

* 310 N. Sixth St.

* 114 Isabel Ave.

* 210 N. Seventh St.


The Garden City/Finney County Animal Shelter

Hours: Noon to 6 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, closed Sundays, Mondays and holidays.

Phone: (620) 276-1152

Citizens may come in to find an animal to adopt, or bring an animal to be adopted.

Finney County Humane Society

Mission statement: To prevent cruelty to animals, to relieve suffering among animals, and to promote the extension of humane education.

Annual dues are $15 for an individual, $25 for a family membership or $100 for a business membership.

The FCHS is a non-profit organization. All donations are tax deductible. Send donations to P.O. Box 2031, Garden City, KS 67846

For a list of pet ordinances, visit

The following are city of Garden City ordinances related to keeping of animals:

* Dogs at large are prohibited.

* Pet owners should have no more than two dogs or three cats with the exception of a litter of puppies or kittens, which can be kept for a period of time not exceeding five months from birth.

Vicious dog ownership applies to animals that:

* With known propensity, tendency, or disposition to attack without provocation, to cause injury or to otherwise threaten the safety of a human being or domestic animals;

* Which, without provocation, has attacked or bitten a human being or domestic animal;

* Owned or harbored primarily or in part for the purpose of dogfighting, or any dog trained for dogfighting;

* Which, without provocation, chases or approaches a person upon the streets, sidewalks, or any public or private property in a menacing fashion or apparent attitude of attack, or;

* Known as a pit bull dog, which shall be defined as any American Pit Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier or American Staffordshire Terrier breed of dog or any mixed breed of dog that has the appearance of being predominately of the breeds of dog known as American Pit Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, or American Staffordshire Terrier or any other breed of dog commonly known as pit bull, pit bull dog, or pit bull terrier or a combination of these breeds.

* Vicious dogs must be confined in an enclosed pen or secure structure. The owner shall not allow the dog out of its structure unless it is restrained and muzzled. The owner of a vicious dog must display signs on the property warning of a vicious dog.

For a complete list of pet ordinances, visit

Add your Comment About This Story

Commenting Rules

The Garden City Telegram reserves the right to delete any comment it deems inappropriate. We encourage visitor comments and ask that you be brief and add something relevant to the conversation. All comments are reviewed (usually within 24 hours or less) before appearing on this website.

Read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use for full details of our policies.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.


captcha fb6bf26c1f3a48efbc1c5e5b53d19838

Found 0 comment(s)!