The 2010 Finney County Fair will be held in Garden City Wednesday through Sunday. The official fair book gives all the details — from event schedules to competition categories and all the information you need to get involved! Check out all the fair action online at www.finneycountyfair.org.
Here are just a few of the highlights of the Finney County Fair:
• 4-H Cowboy Olympics, 7 p.m. in the Horse Palace at the west end of the fairgrounds. Four-person 4-H teams will compete in various western-themed obstacle course races.
• Free hamburger feed, 6 p.m. on the Grandstand Plaza, sponsored by Western State Bank and the Finney County Fair Association. Pick up a free meal and check out the fair exhibits.
• Colgate Country Showdown, like "American Idol" only country music! Ten regional winners will compete for the state title at 7 p.m. in the Grandstand Arena.
• Edge of Forever, a tribute to Lynyrd Skynyrd, one of the finest southern rock tribute acts in the world, 9 p.m. in the Grandstand Arena.
• 96.3's "The Marshall" Third Annual Hot Dog Eatin' Contest, 6 p.m. in the Exhibition Building.
• Western Kansas Truck & Tractor Pull, 8 p.m. in the Grandstand Arena sponsored by American Implement, Garden City Farm Equipment and Farm Credit of SW Kansas. See area residents compete in the Amateur Truck Pull at 6 p.m. in the arena.
• Camel Scramble, 7 p.m. in the Grandstand Arena. Watch teams of two try to ride and lead a camel across the finish line!
• Outlaw Demolition Derby, 8 p.m. in the Grandstand Arena, sponsored by Finney County Farm Bureau Association and Farm Credit of SW Kansas.
• Kid's Pedal Pull, noon in the Grandstand. Registration begins at 11 a.m.; sponsored by Golden Plains Credit Union.
• Fair awards ceremony, 12:30 p.m. on the Grandstand Plaza.
Ticket prices for the Grandstand attractions are $15 for bucket seats, $12 for bench-back seats and general admission bleacher seats are $10 for adults and $5 for ages 12 and younger.
Besides the grandstand entertainment, there's lots to see and do at the Finney County Fair:
• The Pride of Texas Carnival will be open Wednesday through Sunday. Listen to local radio stations for information on bracelet nights.
• The petting zoo from Staples Safari, sponsored by Garden City Co-op, will be available throughout the fair with pony and camel rides. Meet Wilson, the monkey from the Night at the Museum movie and take the kids' picture with an animal!
• The Kansas Wildlife and Parks Mobile Aquarium displays about 75 fish from 20 Kansas species in a huge tank holding 3,200 gallons of water. See it throughout the fair.
• The Farmer for a Day booth will be open during specific daytime hours on Thursday, Friday and Saturday in the Exhibition Building. Check out the fair schedule for the details.
Exhibit buildings and commercial booths will be open daily throughout the fair from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. Be sure to check out all the indoor exhibits, commercial vendors, the livestock barns and the outdoor activities.
So, make plans to attend the 2010 Finney County Fair. It's fun for everyone!
Visit my blog at http://SWKTalk.com/livingwell.